Saturday, July 14, 2012

Memories of USC’s Coach Vern Wolfe

As it is summer of 2012 and the London Olympics are nearing, I had a recollection today of the University of Southern California (USC)’s Track & Field's Head Coach Vern Wolfe.

Source: www.usatf.org
I was a "very average" and mediocre walk-on to Coach Wolfe’s USC Track & Field Team during my sophomore and junior year (1977-78), in the 880 yards (800 meters), while I was studying chemical engineering at USC's School of Engineering. Ahead of me were, David Omwansa (Kenyan track & field team), Lloyd Johnson (nationally ranked), James Walters (nationally ranked), and then - there was "little me". As a prerequisite, Assistant Coach Ken Matsuda stated that I must qualify via a time trial in order to make the USC Track & Field Track Team. Coach Matsuda held the time trial wherein Lloyd Johnson, James Walters, and myself had to run a 220 yards. I finished right behind Lloyd Johnson and James Walters and Coach Matsuda came over to me and stated that I made the track team. I attended practices each day and trained with each of the elite athletes ahead of me.  As the fourth person in the event, I was basically a "bench-warmer" and was never good enough to compete in the meets. Also, another walk-on chemical engineer was on the team - Steve Funderburk (one year my senior) who specialized in the javelin.

Coach Wolfe was very gracious, kind, understanding and encouraged a lot of walk-on(s) to try-out and make his USC Track & Field team(s). He was very open-minded and coached various levels of elite athletes which ranged from Olympians, NCAA champions, to former high school champions etc. He made sure that all of the walk-on(s) got a locker along with and nearby proximity to all his elite athletes in the prestigious Heritage Hall and that all walk-on(s) wore officially issued USC sweats and uniforms. It was the greatest feeling to know how Coach Wolfe truly cared and treated all his athletes regardless of the type, classification and levels of capabilities. Working out on Cromwell Field and hearing him cheering on, offering training tips, and many times a “pat” on the back was truly priceless. During various speed, interval and distance workouts, for me; there were repetitive signs of deep exhaustion, nausea, stress, strain and fatigue. Often Coach Wolfe's kind words like “eat more potatoes and you may run faster” meant a lot for a "very average" walk-on and marginal athlete like me as I really struggled with full course load of chemical engineering while battling early signs of diabetes, nephrotic syndrome and other health issues (all diagnosed in later years including various forms of fatigue; metabolic, neuro-muscular and central nervous system etc.). I was not at-par with any of the many championship-level and elite athletes on the team.

I tried my utmost best to train, improve, become better, and be good enough to compete. Finally, in the Spring of 1978, I was called into Coach Ken Matsuda's office in Heritage Hall and he basically told me I am being cut from the USC Track & Field team. I was also told to clean-out my locker and hand-in my sweats etc. He further told me to just run for my health and concentrate on my chemical engineering studies. As I walked away from Heritage Hall, deep-down in my heart and mind, I felt that I did my utmost best and that it was just not good enough to compete - even as a walk-on. I was ever grateful to have been part of Coach Wolfe's amazing USC Track and Field Team. Later, I came to know there were other walk-on(s) who were similarly cut from the team who were not good enough to compete. While on the track team, I was lucky to befriend David Omwansa who encouraged me to continue training on my own. David took time out in the evenings (after his own track practice) and gave me tips on training in order to improve my running. I would often give rides to Tommy's Burgers in the late evenings to David and his girlfriend.

In 1986, I met Dr. Jim Vernon who informed me that both Coach Wolfe and he had established the Trojan Masters Track Club. I was so happy to join and receive the cardinal and gold uniform with the "shield" along with original competition sweats of the USC Track & Field Team. It was truly an honor as I finally got the chance to at least compete via the Trojan Masters Track Club. I am truly grateful to Coach Wolfe for giving me a chance.

Currently, in today’s high-tech age, 24/7 cable news, multimillion dollar endorsements, major doping scandals and the sorts, it is heartening to know such a truly great person as Coach Wolfe, stood by principle and set the highest standards while his athletes and teams set multiple world records and won major championships. Moreover, Coach Wolfe was a great person who treated all human beings with dignity, respect, and compassion regardless of our walks-of-life, limitations or capabilities.

References
  1. http://www.usc.edu/uscnews/stories/5993.html
  2. http://www.usatf.org/halloffame/TF/showBio.asp?HOFIDs=187
  3. http://www.ustfccca.org/ustfccca-hall-of-fame/ustfccca-hall-of-fame-special-inductees/vern-wolfe-ustfccca-special-inductee

No comments:

Post a Comment