Monday, September 8, 2014

Challenges in Overcoming Improper Biomechanics & Bioenergetics

It has been over five (5) years since early July 2009 when I came out of the emergency-room and hospital recovery at Overlook Hospital in Summit, New Jersey. The definitive road for me to regain proper health, wellness, fitness, training and competition has been very long, winding, with many ups and downs. During the course of the last 5+ years, with each workout, training, and competition, there was, is, and continues to be increased hope for me. With heartfelt gratitude, I humbly thank the many coaches, trainers, physical therapists, fellow athletes and teammates who have made my journey so worthwhile and helped me in so many qualitative and quantitative aspects in overcoming sometimes insurmountable challenges and odds. I am truly grateful to the many countless people in my life who have made it possible for me to regain proper health, wellness, fitness and training in order to compete once again.

I first started competitive running in high school and then in college with main focus on 880 yards / 800 meters during track season and cross-country during off-season (References 1, 2). I did not compete at any shorter distances. I was a "very average" and marginal athlete not at-par with any of the many championship-level and elite athletes on the various track & field teams in both high school and college. I stopped competing in track after college and occasionally ran in 5K and 10K road-races from time-to-time and completely stopped all physical fitness in early 1990s. After a major lapse of nearly two (2) decades, starting in late 2009, as part of road to proper health, fitness and training, I had to overcome various plaguing health issues and turned to allopathic medicine coupled with holistic methods as an effective means in tackling various challenges with diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, chronic PTSD, chronic fatigue and other related health matters (References 3, 4, 5).

From late 2012, I restarted the slow journey back to competitive running by participating in several 5K road-race events. My times were very slow (>40 minutes) and I continually suffered from chronic fatigue, total exhaustion, and other painful lower body injuries (hamstring pulls, knee pain, ankle sprains, plantar fasciitis, etc.). Thus, I totally forego running road-races, and, in late March 2013, I competed in an outdoor track meet in the 200 meters (a much shorter distance). I completed the race in a very slow time and collapsed after crossing the finish line. Thereafter, I started doing combination(s) of distance running, intervals, wind sprints and upper-body resistance training. However, I still continued to suffer from chronic fatigue, total exhaustion, and other painful lower body issues (hamstring pulls, knee / ankle pain, plantar fasciitis, etc.) as well as issues with ups and downs with diabetes, nephrotic syndrome and chronic PTSD. I also had to seek help from physical therapists for my lower-body / leg injuries.

Fortunately, I attended two (2) important running clinics, first in August 2013, and, later in January 2014 (References 6, 7). I had the great opportunity to listen, meet, and have direct Q&A with world-renowned track & field coaches, researchers and experts having tremendous wealth of knowledge, maturity, experience and wisdom. I realized there were so many major advances in biomechanics & bioenergetics science, innovation and state-of-the-art methods and techniques. Specifically, strength training; fitness; stride frequency / length; force application; ground reaction forces; biomechanics; bio-kinesiology; important muscle / tendon / ligament groups; energy mechanisms; training tips and related areas. In addition, Newton’s laws of motion, gravity as well as Hooke’s law with emphasis on force application, stiffness, ground reaction forces (impulse and impact forces), forward momentum, and linear velocity. Also, proper running technique and running form during acceleration, sprinting, maximum velocity and speed endurance phases. I learned, for the first time, basics of GAIT analysis as well as different key aspects of stance, recovery, toe-off, flight phases of the GAIT cycle. I had to literally re-learn the basic laws motion and linear kinematics as well as being totally introduced to the latest art and science of running.


During Competition
With Analysis


In late 2013, a real-time GAIT analysis was carried on my improper biomechanics in New York City which showed; 1) decreased step length on right foot; 2) decreased contact time on right foot and; 3) increased variance on right leg with pushoff / propulsive phase. In addition, movement assessment was also carried out which showed; 1) Ankle; limited dorsiflexion motion with early heel rise; 2) Hip; decreased hip extension right-to-left limiting glute(s) loading and activation and; 3) Thoracic Spine; limited rotation and extension thereby limiting core activation.


During Competition
With Analysis

Based on the above, I have had to apply and, in most cases, continually reapply the principles of the latest art and science of running and resulting “mindful” and “common-sense” methods, techniques, skills and drills to my own health, fitness, training and competition. I still have a very long way to go in overcoming challenges of improper biomechanics and bioenergetics as I have shifted focus on competing, at Masters level track events, in much shorter distances; 100 meters, 200 meters, and 400 meters; with still relatively slower time(s) due to ongoing injuries coupled with recovery / rehabilitation / therapy.

Accordingly, based on analysis (as in above pictures), a lot of work still needs to be done via proper health, fitness and training. This includes, but not limited to, major essential improvements which must be made in reducing resulting ground reaction force and optimizing vertical impact and impulse forces in order to translate into increased overall forward momentum (Linear Speed = Stride Frequency x Stride Length). There must be special attention paid to improving proper and adequate levels of stiffness (Hooke's Law; Force = kx). Enhanced and very close attention to interrelationship between key "15 joint groups", practical and realistic impact of anthropometric factors and issues. Particular emphasis on proper foot landing during "pen-ultimate step" and various GAIT phases, minimizing ankle rotation, enhancing hips / glutes power, strengthening core / chest area, relaxing both shoulders, smoother hand-leg coordination / propulsion and strengthening neck.

Finally, as part of effectively dealing with diabetes, nephrotic syndrome, chronic PTSD, and chronic fatigue (central nervous system (CNS), neuro-muscular, and metabolic), "laser-focus" on adequate amounts of proper holistic methods (sadhana, yoga, ayurveda, and tai-chi), proper lifestyle (diet, rest, balance, and motivation), proper balance of both endurance and interval training as well as continual practice and maintenance thereof during off-season / early-season / mid-season / late-season.

I am so thankful to the most amazing enlightenment I received from the world-renowned track & field coaches, researchers and experts (References 67). Moreover, I am truly grateful for the continual words of faith, hope and courage from Coach Caryl Smith Gilbert and encouragement, motivation, support, and training tips from Coach F. Eugene Driver III. In addition, USC Track & Field program, all of my teammates at Trojan Masters Track Club, many friends at Dashing Whippets Running Team and newly-found friends at Central Park Track Club. All of you make my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment